• Why Choose HorizonCosmopolite | Our Services •
WHY CHOOSE HORIZONCOSMOPOLITE
1) We’ve proven ourselves!
HorizonCosmopolite was established in 1997. We have sent thousands of participants to over thirty countries in Latin America, Asia, Africa and Europe. Although every participant and internship is unique, we have developed an expertise in solidarity trips – all for your benefit!
2) We are a Quebec based organization
Do you prefer to buy local when you are doing your grocery shopping or picking out Christmas presents? Well you should do the same for your choice of solidarity trips! We are an organization that has been based in Montreal since 1997. By choosing our services, you are contributing to economic solidarity and encouraging a small Quebec business. Furthermore, you are always welcome to our offices and we would more than happy to meet in person during your pre-departure training. By placing your trust in our organization for your community involvement trip, you are supporting a local service and investing in the local economy.
3) We partner with trusted organizations
We have created partnerships with different local organizations abroad. We have built relationships over many years with the majority of our partners. We have visited our partners several times and are in constant communication with them. We know the people who will welcome you into their country and we guarantee that they will fulfill their commitments. Whether this is an airport pickup, accommodation or transport; the partners’ responsibilities are clearly defined and will be respected.
4) Projects are developed by the local community
We believe that volunteer projects should be developed in close partnership with the beneficiary communities. Projects should not be imposed and it is for this reason that we work with organizations that have a strong presence on the ground. Local organizations are best placed to decide what activities are priorities because they understand the reality, the culture and the needs of the people. We therefore offer projects that respond to the needs of the host community, not just the expectations of participants!
5) You know exactly where your money is going
Here at HorizonCosmopolite, the fees related to regular programs are divided in the following way:
- Registration fees are payable directly to HorizonCosmopolite
- Participations fees (accommodation, meals, support abroad and local transport) are payable directly to our overseas partner
- International transport is paid through our travel agency and partner, “Escapade Voyage & Aventure”
Other organizations typically have participants pay one lump sum payment and it is unclear how much money stays within Canada and how much is given to the partners abroad. With HorizonCosmopolite, you know exactly how much each component of your trip costs!
6) We offer unlimited support before, during and after your trip
Take advantage of unlimited and continuous support from HorizonCosmpolite staff, in addition to participating in a pre-departure orientation day, receiving our Participant Booklet and detailed documents on the host country. We are always here to respond to your questions and concerns, whether they are about security, customs, insurances, plane tickets etc.
7) Our programs are flexible and open to everybody
With HorizonCosmopolite you decide: when you leave, with whom you travel, your choice of project and the duration of time that best suits you. Our programs are open to everyone, there are no age restrictions and for the most part, specific experience is not required. In line with our mission, we believe that the experiences offered by HorizonCosmopolite should be accessible to the greatest number of people. Everyone should take a first step in solidarity, towards a world more just and humane.
8) An ethical choice
At HorizonCosmopolite we offer programs that reflect the principles of solidarity or ethical tourism, as defined by the Tourism Intelligence Network (Please see «Humanitarian Travel or Volunturism?» for the full definition). By carefully choosing our partners and adequately preparing our interns, we are committed to offering a rich exchange and discovery experience for our participants, but also for the hosting organizations and communities!
For Regular Programs
Our objective at HorizonCosmopolite is to set up educational programs that will give you the opportunity to travel abroad, immerse yourself in another culture and live a unique and enriching experience, regardless of your background. On the other hand, if you have knowledge and skills that you would like to utilize and if you are interested in gaining volunteer experience, it is possible for us to try to develop something more personalized and catered to your abilities.
Planning such programs naturally entails expenses both in Canada and overseas. At HorizonCosmopolite, each program includes a registration fee which covers the following:
- A supervised placement for participants located in a secure area that has been visited by an employee of HorizonCosmopolite.
- The placement is guaranteed or you will be one hundred percent reimbursed.
- Unlimited support to help you prepare for your trip. This includes: A pre-departure orientation day / Advice regarding plane tickets, insurance, visas, security in the host country, information on your host country, and any other questions you may have. / Our service is personalized and unlimited: feel free to contact us anytime if you have questions before your departure. / Once registered and accepted into the program you may speak with or meet a past participant. / You are given a complete Participant Booklet (around 100 pages) filled with helpful advice pertaining to the different phases of your program: before, during, and after.
- Our programs are flexible and varied. YOU choose: The duration of the program (within the indicated timeframe). / The type of program and the host country (where we have partners). / Your departure date. / Whether you leave alone or with other people.
- Our selection process is simple and has very few restrictions.
- Abroad: You will be living in a secure area and you will have a contact person in case of any problems. / In all programs, accommodations are arranged for you. / There will always be facilities where you can make yourself something to eat or food will be provided by a host family. / HorizonCosmopolite representatives are not present in all of the countries we work in.
- Following the program, you will receive the Global Minds Newsletter which is released every week with information on programs abroad, work opportunities, conferences, and other topics of international interest.
- There are fees for our programs, however they ensure a certain structure and safety while offering great flexibility in planning your exciting trip!